Skip to content


City of Liverpool produced another committed and resilient performance to deservedly claim all three points against Bootle at the DCBL stadium on Wednesday night.

It was the second time this season that Paul McNally’s side have come out on top against the Bucks, and the latest result was important three points with so much to play for as the NPL West division season nears it’s end.

The manager handed a recall to skipper Danny Mitchley, who has shone every time he’s played against Bootle since joining the Purps, meaning Josh Quarless took a place on the bench.

Macca was also boosted by the return of key midfielder Max Allen for the first time since he injured his ankle against Mossley on the Easter weekend.

Mitchley was straight into the action within the first minute of the match, picking up the ball just inside Bootle’s half before attempting to lob goalkeeper Tony Thompson from distance.

Thompson was alive to it and back-peddled to make a comfortable claim, but it was an early indication of City of Liverpool’s intention to be quick-thinking and catch the Bootle defence out.

The visitors then had a spell in which they looked to feed forwards Jake Burton and Ben Hopkinson at every opportunity, but good defending from Kenny Strickland and Jack Hont in particular ensured they were frustrated in their efforts.

Bootle had a golden opportunity to open the scoring after 22 minutes when Conor Harwood’s driving run from the left saw an attempted cross strike the hand of Purps defender Adam Rooney.

It seemed a harsh penalty call from the referee given that Rooney was both in close proximity to Harwood and his arms were by his side, but nevertheless the visitors would have the chance to make the first impression on the scoreboard.

Former Tranmere Rovers forward Jake Burton stepped up to firmly strike his spot-kick into the corner of the net, but Calvin Hare dived full stretch to his left to claw the ball around the post for a corner.

It was yet more penalty heroics from the Purple Spider, who is once again demonstrating his credentials as the best custodian in the league.

The Purps rallied after the penalty save, knowing they’d been afforded a real let-off by their goalkeeper and they looked to assert themselves in forward areas.

Bootle struggled with the pace and aggression of Xenon Bahula, Ismail Sonko and Elliot Morris on the ball, and both visiting central defenders were pulled up for fouls in dangerous areas as the Purps looked a yard quicker in attacking areas.

Kenny Strickland fired a few yards over the bar with a long range free kick, whilst Adam Rooney went close with a header from a Max Allen corner which was well held by Thompson.

On the stroke of half time the hosts had a golden chance to open the scoring as a deep ball into the box found the Bootle defence fast asleep and Rooney in acres of space.

The bigman got slightly underneath his header which agonisingly skewed over the bar – a real let off for the visitors.

HALF TIME: City of Liverpool 0-0 Bootle

The Purps started the second half as they had finished the first, with Elliot Morris racing clear down the right within a minute of the restart and flashing a right footed effort across the face of goal.

Two minutes later, Michael Simpson was picked out by Morris on another foray forward, with the right-back firing a fierce effort on the overlap which flew just wide of Thompson’s near post.

Another City of Liverpool burst forward saw the Purps with 3 on 3 momentarily, with the ball eventually breaking for Max Allen to fire an opportunistic first-time effort over the bar from distance.

Ismail Sonko then saw an instinctive effort from the right of the box denied by an excellent stop from Thompson to push the ball away for a corner.

The resulting set piece caused all manner of confusion in the Bootle box, culminating in Mitchley firing over from inside area.

City of Liverpool had a real fire in their bellies and an intent which saw them first to every ball and looking to take full advantage of their dominance in the second period.

Mitchley picked the ball up fully 30 yards out before unleashing a speculative left-footed effort which flew past Thomson and cannoned back off the bar.

It would’ve been another spectacular derby goal for Mitchley, who lit up Vesty Road with an acrobatic overhead kick against Bootle on New Years Day last year.

The Purps had huge shouts for a penalty a minute later when Xenon Bahula was hauled down by Anthony Miley, however the referee instead pointed for a corner to the consternation of the home support.

It wouldn’t matter though, as a brilliant delivery from Max Allen was met by a delayed run from Adam Rooney who rose like a salmon to power home the opener!

Bootle rallied after the opener and came alive particularly after the introduction of substitute Michael Burkey, meaning the Purps had to be on their mettle defensively to ensure the Bucks didn’t have a route back to parity.

Firstly, Calvin Hare denied a long range effort which came through a crowd after the referee failed to stop play as Si Wills lay on the deck with a head injury.

Shortly afterwards a driving run from Harwood caused confusion and a Bootle man looked to turn the ball home from close range, only to be denied by heroic defending on the line from Michael Simpson.

Deep into injury time Miley went into the book for scything down Quarless who momentarily looked to break clear on the edge of the area.

The resulting free kick was a textbook definition of “Josh Quarless Territory” and the Purps’ top scorer stepped up to rifle home his free kick from over 25 yards out, sparking celebrations amongst his team mates and delighted home supporters.

Josh’s strike extinguished any lingering fears of a late Bootle equaliser and the final whistle brought jubilant scenes in front of the home faithful – who had kicked every ball, celebrated every successful tackle and spurred Paul McNally’s side on to another important three points.

FULL TIME: City of Liverpool 2-0 Bootle

City of Liverpool: Calvin Hare, Michael Simpson, Jack Hont, Kenny Strickland, Adam Rooney, Si Wills, Elliot Morris, Ismail Sonko, Danny Mitchley (Josh Quarless), Max Allen (Michael Grogan), Xenon Bahula (Jawad Jebrin).

Subs not used: Kyle Schorah, Luke Byron.


Paul McNally hailed Calvin Hare as the “best goalkeeper in the league” after his first half penalty save and praised the commitment from his side to secure an important three points.

The gaffer also described the contributions of man of the match Adam Rooney as “outstanding” as the centreback matched a commanding performance at the back with the all-important opening goal.


The tough games come thick and fast for City of Liverpool as we make the trip to Nantwich Town on Saturday afternoon in the NPL West for a 3pm kick off.

There is also the small matter of a Liverpool Senior Cup Final to be played at Marine on Tuesday night.

Kick off is 7:45pm and tickets are selling FAST so supporters are encouraged to purchase theirs asap to avoid disappointment.

Tickets are available via the following link and there will be NO CASH TURNSTILE on the night, so you really do need to move fast if you want to be part of it.

The supporters have been a huge part of all of our memorable moments this season, so lets give Macca and the lads a big away following on Tuesday night!



Purps Head to Hamburg for HFC Falke Celebrations
We are delighted to announce that we have accepted an invitation from HFC Falke of Hamburg,
Paul Mcnally Commits For Season 24/25
We are delighted to announce that despite interest from other clubs, Paul McNally has readily agreed
City of Liverpool returned to winning ways with a 5-0 demolition of Kidsgrove Athletic on Saturday