Skip to content


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

Warrington Town and City of Liverpool played out an entertaining five-goal thriller in the first game back in front of spectators at Cantilever Park.

The home side got off to the perfect start as Trialist whipped in an inch perfect free kick for Regan to power home a header after only 48 seconds.

The Yellows could have doubled their advantage in as many minutes, but Bohan Dixon fired narrowly wide after good work from Buckley to tee him up.

The Purps were level after 3 minutes however. Lovely footwork from Dom Reid beat a couple of men and he was brought down by the last man, giving the ref no choice but to point to the spot.

Reid stepped up to coolly place the spot kick home and restore parity in what had been a frenetic first few minutes.

Warrington rallied following Reid’s equaliser, and Purps goalkeeper Owen Wheeler had to be on his toes to intercept a dangerous cross destined for Buckley after a fine cross from Mackreth.

Wheeler produced a magnificent stop minutes later, beating out a fierce long range strike from Trialist which came through a crowd.

Jamie McDonald should have given the visitors the lead after being gifted possession in the Yellows box following a mistake by Regan.

However, the Purps forward fired narrowly wide as the goalkeeper rushed out to narrow the angle down.

As the half closed out, Wheeler produced another magnificent stop in what was already an inspired goalkeeping display, to deny a rasping strike on the turn from Buckley.

It was all square at the interval in an entertaining and even first half.

Only a matter of seconds into the second half the Purps took the lead in another frenetic start.

Good work by Tony Gray released Jamie McDonald in the left hand channel of the area. The Purps forward made no mistake, lifting the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper and into the net.

The visitors almost doubled their lead minutes later courtesy of a fine long range left footed free kick from Trialist. The Yellows goalkeeper was equal to it though, making a great stop.

The home side equalised after 58 minutes, as Duggan robbed the Purps of possession and fed Carney who released Buckley in behind.

The Yellows forward tucked a smart finish beyond the advancing Wheeler and Jordan Barrow who was agonisingly just short of hacking it off the line.

In what was now an end to end affair, the Purps responded instantly as Reid capitalised on a mix up between the Yellows keeper and Grogan to rob possession.

The ball broke to Jamie McDonald who fired it goalwards from 20 yards out only to be denied by Grogan getting back to block on the line.

The Yellows made the Purps pay for their missed chances and took the lead in spectacular fashion.

Trialist picked the ball up 25 yards out and hammered a curling left footed effort into the top corner, giving the impressive Wheeler absolutely no chance.

It was a fine strike from the midfielder.

The Purps had a late half chance as substitute Craig Cairns fired a left footed snap shot from range, but the home goalkeeper was equal to it saving down low.

FINAL SCORE: Warrington Town 3-2 City of Liverpool.

CITY OF LIVERPOOL TEAM: Wheeler, Jeffries (Yates), Brown (Stevens), Barrow, Rigby (Corrigan), Reid (McGrath), Devine, Trialist (Hazlehurst), Kinsella (McEllin), Gray (Cairns), McDonald (Nevitt).


The gallery was not found!




City of Liverpool FC would like supporters to be aware that tickets must be purchased in


City of Liverpool FC are delighted to announce the signing of goalkeeper Danny Taberner from Atherton


City of Liverpool and Trafford each took a deserved share of the points after an even