Skip to content


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

City of Liverpool fell to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Marine in front of a bumper crowd of 1311 in Crosby on Saturday afternoon.

Michael Ellison handed debuts to defenders Tom Morris and Jack Walls, who signed in time for the game, to provide a welcome boost for the injury-hit Purps.

The Purps were also boosted by a strong away following, which packed the Crosender Road end and provided a typically vocal support to the players.

The first half was a somewhat cagey affair, with the Purps doing well to keep Marine at arm’s length in the opening exchanges.

Marine were dangerous on out wide in particular through the lively Neil Kengni, who was operating off either flank, providing a constant outlet for the hosts.

The visitors had the first half chance of the match as a volley cross-shot from former Mariner George Hassall was watched wide by a back-pedalling Bailey Passant.

The Purps were indebted to goalkeeper Danny Taberner who produced a string of fine saves throughout the first period denying Kengni on two occasions.

The winger produced a golden opportunity with a slaloming run down the right which saw him cut back for Alex Doyle, who had the goal at his mercy. The midfielder fired wastefully into the College Road End stand with an effort which should have opened the scoring for the hosts.

Kengni then fired wastefully over himself, whilst Taberner tipped over an effort from Lewis Reilly who also had a tap-in ruled out for offside.

The Purps were led by livewire forward Djavan Pedro who didn’t allow the Marine defence any time on the ball and was a constant thorn in the side of the hosts, offering a focal point for the visitors on the counter attack.

The on-loan Salford City starlet came close when charging down a Passant clearance and was unlucky to find himself held up after robbing Marine of possession and momentarily find himself in behind the defence.

As the half drew to a close, the Taberner-show continued with the Purps custodian producing another two magnificent stops to come out on top in his personal duel with Marine’s forwards.

Firstly, the goalkeeper clawed out a rasping long-range effort from dangerman Kengni, then on the stroke of half time Ryan Wignall cut in from the left on the counter-attack before hammering a ferocious effort which produced Taberner’s best work yet.

The keeper turned the ball around the post at full-stretch as the fierce effort bounced right in front of him.

HALF TIME: Marine 0-0 City of Liverpool

The second period continued in similar fashion to the first with Marine on the front foot, however this time the pressure told and the hosts took the lead early on.

Ryan Wignall tapped home from close range after a ball across the face of goal put it on a plate for the winger at the back post, giving Taberner no chance.

The hosts made it a quick fire double five minutes later in fortuitous fashion, as Wignall’s effort from close range took a huge deflection off Jack Walls and wrong-footed Taberner to creep in.

Moments later Taberner produced another fine stop to push out an effort from Wignall, denying the Marine man his hat trick.

At the other end the Purps were denied a route back into the game when Jay Murphy was pulled back then had his ankles clipped in the box.

The referee appeared to put his whistle to his mouth before allowing play to continue, as Murphy did not go down.

The “advantage” of sorts then ended with Jay Edgar having an effort blocked from the edge of the area.

Substitute Freddie Potter, still nursing the injury which has restricted his appearances in recent weeks, had a long-range snapshot spilled by Passant, but the keeper was alive to follow up the shot and prevent a tap in.

Danny Taberner again denied both Kengni and full-back Josh Solomon-Davies as Marine looked dangerous still on the counter-attack as the Purps sought to reduce the arrears.

City of Liverpool were handed a goal back with nine minutes left to play, courtesy of former Liverpool defender David Raven, who somehow fired into his own net from close range from Jay Edgar’s corner.


The celebrations were short-lived however, as Edgar received his marching orders a couple of minutes later for a second bookable offence, all but ending City of Liverpool’s attempts at a comeback.

FULL TIME: Marine 2-1 City of Liverpool

Man of the Match: Danny Taberner. The Purps custodian picks up back-to-back awards with another brilliant display. Tabs produced countless saves to give his side a chance of getting something out of the game.

City of Liverpool: Danny Taberner, Zac Aley, Jack Walls, Adam Hughes, Tom Morris, Jacy Edgar, Nathan Burke, James Murphy, Djavan Pedro (Xenon Bahula 71’), George Hassall (Freddie Potter 71’), Ryan Gibson.

Subs not used: Ethan Devine, Louis Corrigan, Jack Hinnigan.




City of Liverpool FC produced as dominant performance as Michael Ellison’s side humbled Prescot Cables 6-0


City of Liverpool were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Kendal Town on Saturday,


City of Liverpool FC are pleased to confirm the signing of experienced midfielder Glenn Rule. Birkenhead-born