Skip to content


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

City of Liverpool opened the season with a convincing victory in the FA Cup over Glossop North End in front of 350 fans at the Ambec Forklift Stadium.

There was a late change to the starting lineup as striker Tony Gray had to be replaced by Elliot Nevitt after the warm up.

The opening half an hour was a cagey affair with no chances of note. Both teams were combative in midfield but failed to convert that into attempts at goal.

When the first chance of the game came on 30 minutes it was put away with aplomb. Elliot Nevitt picking up a loose back pass just inside the Glossop half, he raced away towards the box leaving both centre backs running in treacle, before calmly placing it past the on coming keeper into the bottom corner. Cue jubilation from the travelling Purps!

Glossop put the Purps under a bit of pressure as the half drew to a close. Plenty of long balls into the box but Brown and McCarten won everything with Burke, Barrow and Kinsella working hard to get the second ball and try to push City of Liverpool forward on the counter attack.


The Purps where straight on the front foot after the restart. Kinsella driving down the left before slipping a pass to the overlapping Rigby, his pull back however was too close to the Glossop keeper with Nevitt and Reid arriving.

Minutes later Rigby curled a beauty of a free kick into the box. McCarten had got across his man and his clever dummy ricocheted off a Glossop defender but fortunately for him it was close to the keeper who gathered.

Burke began to find pockets of space in midfield and looked to set Nevitt in behind. The flag was quickly up despite Nevitt running from deep but it was a sign of things to come as the Purps searched for a second goal.

Glossop had their first attempt as Wheeler was almost caught off his line by a chipped effort from the right but Rigby was back on the line to clear the danger.

The Purps almost extended the lead as Nevitt again raced clear from a lovely through ball from Barrow. The angle was tight but he rolled it inches past the far post.

A minute later the second goal came on 61 minutes. Again Barrow released Nevitt with a lovely through ball but he just ran a tide wide in the box. Nevitt had runners arriving in support and he kept the ball well before finding Kinsella who took a touch sat the keeper down and placed it over him to double the lead.

Glossop again resorted to long balls and deep free kicks to try and find a way into the game. McCarten, Brown and Barrow all dealing with the threat and Wheeler was also a composed presence coming through a crowded box on a couple of occasions to claim crosses.

Nevitt was having a field day as the midfield looked to #FeedTheBeast at every opportunity. Twice more being sent clear but mis hitting one from a tight angle as it bobbled up another the keeper raced off his line to thwart the danger.

The Purps put the tie beyond doubt and added a third on 76 minutes. Dom Reid this time racing away but a Glossop defender managed to get back goal side and hold him up. With his back to goal he rolled a pass into substitute Jack Hazlehurst who made no mistake. Jack had been on the pitch for less than 2 minutes before sealing the win.

On 84 minutes substitute John McGrath received a red card following a clash with a Glossop defender. But the Purps saw out the tie and ensured we are into the next round. The draw takes place on Monday at around midday.


LINEUP: Wheeler, Jeffries, Brown, McCarten, Rigby, Burke, Barrow, Kinsella (Hazlehurst), Reid (McGrath), Nevitt, McDonald (Corrigan).

MAN OF THE MATCH: There were outstanding performances all over the pitch but Elliott Nevitt is more than deserving. He gave the Glossop centre backs a torrid 90 minutes. Always a willing runner in behind and holding up the play to bring others in.





City of Liverpool FC would like supporters to be aware that tickets must be purchased in


City of Liverpool FC are delighted to announce the signing of goalkeeper Danny Taberner from Atherton


City of Liverpool and Trafford each took a deserved share of the points after an even