Skip to content


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

The Purps lost on the opening day of the PitchingIn NPLNW season, after an inspired display from Marske United’s Matty Tymon saw the visitors take away the three points.

Marske took the lead on 7 minutes after the lively Curtis Round broke free down the left and picked out Adam Boyes with a devilish ball in, the forward made no mistake, tapping home from inside the 6 yard box.

The Purps rallied instantly and left back Stephen Rigby picked out Elliott Nevitt with a great free kick but the forward hammered over on the stretch.

Following the opener it was an end to end affair, and the Purps had in form keeper Owen Wheeler to thank as he twice raced off his line to deny Curtis Round in a matter of minutes. The Marske winger was having a fine game but should have done better after being clean through on goal on both occasions.

Marske should have added to their lead shortly afterwards, as Adam Wheatley made a mess of a golden chance, heading over at the back post unmarked with the goal at his mercy.

It didn’t take long for the visitors to add to their lead however, as Matty Tymon somehow looped the ball over Wheeler and into the net whilst on the deck as everyone thought the danger had gone.

Tymon wasted no time in adding to his tally and the forward made it 0-3 to the visitors on 27 minutes. The dangerous Curtis Round again broke free down the left, cutting an inch perfect ball back for Tymon to place an emphatic side footed finish into the back of the net.

Moments later, Purps left back Stephen Rigby was inches away from giving the hosts a route back into the game, curling a fine left footed free kick from 30 yards inches wide of Marske custodian Ryan Catterick’s upright.

At the other end, Owen Wheeler again had to be on his toes to produce a brilliant double stop as the visitors broke free again down the left. The Purps goalkeeper stood big to make the initial save, before springing to his feet to block the rebound as Marske thought they had a fourth.

The Purps finally got a route back into the game on 41 minutes as Dom Reid was upended in the box and referee Mark McQuillan immediately pointed to the spot.

Nathan Burke stepped up to take the spot kick and made no mistake, sending Catterick the wrong way to make it 1-3.



On the stroke of half time it should have been 2-3 as a brilliant turn and cross from Elliott Nevitt picked out the late-arriving Gerard Kinsella but the midfielder sliced his effort under pressure and Marske cleared.

HALF TIME: City of Liverpool 1-3 Marske United

City of Liverpool manager Craig Robinson made two changes at the interval with Jason Jeffries being replaced by Tom Stephens and Tony Gray coming on for Gerard Kinsella, as the Purps looked to find a way back into the game.

It was a cagey second period however, as Marske looked to control possession and sit on their lead.

The Purps were frustrated by marginal decisions as Elliott Nevitt was pulled back for offside when he looked a few yards on, and Tony Gray penalised when robbing Kevin Burgess of possession in his own box and releasing Nevitt through on goal.

The hosts did get their second goal however on 84 minutes as substitute Jack Hazlehurst curled a magnificent 30 yard free kick into the postage stamp to set up an entertaining finish.



Marske United didn’t read the script though, as within a minute of the Purple Messi’s goal the visitors had a fourth. Matty Tymon found space in the box after good work from Jack Blackford and the forward grabbed his hat trick, firing low into the bottom left hand corner across Wheeler who had no chance.

FULL TIME: City of Liverpool 2-4 Marske United.

CITY OF LIVERPOOL TEAM: Wheeler, Jeffries (Stephens 46), Rigby, Burke, Brown, McCarten, Kinsella (Gray 45), Barrow, Nevitt, McDonald, Reid (Hazlehurst).

Purps MOTM: Owen Wheeler – The Purps goalkeeper made a string of great stops in the first half as the visitors threatened the home goal.

Matchday Photo Gallery:




The Purps host Morpeth Town in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round on Tuesday 22nd September (7:45pm kick off).

In line with COVID capacity restrictions, admission is capped at 400 and tickets are available using the following Skiddle link. Supporters are encouraged to purchase tickets early to avoid missing out.

Please also check out the club’s COVID guidance infographic and work with our volunteers when attending fixtures so we can continue to create a safe environment for all.





City of Liverpool reached the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round for the first time in our


City of Liverpool produced a magnificent performance to take all three points away at Rylands despite

MATCH REPORT: Purps 0-4 Clitheroe

City of Liverpool’s double header with NPL West side Clitheroe ended with a resounding defeat at